Most of you know that Radon is a seriously dangerous gas that can cause cancerous diseases if exposed to; there is no escape from that fact, either. And, as a matter of fact, around 80% of homes are said to have this dangerous gas inside them, harming thousands of people every year. In short, as long as you are concerned about the health of your family, there is no way to get over this trouble of Radon gas Mac. In fact, you will have to address this issue with the help of latest technology and other features.
While there are hundreds of expensive radon mitigation methods, there are some simpler ones too. if you’d spend some time and effort, some tips can help you prevent radon in your home. In a shorter period of time, you can have a radon-free environment for your kids and others. After all, who needs their sweet home to cause a cancerous disease.
So, in this article, we have come up with some methods that will help you to prevent radon from your home and lead a healthy life. Some of them should be followed before building your house. Yet, there are some to save your current house from the bad impacts of radon. Shall we start?
A Note on the Sources of Radon
Before we begin the tips, it should be noted that Radon gets into your house from different methods. if we’re considering the case of indoor sources, you can count in home construction materials, radon that is included in water supply and rock and soil that you find under your building. So, it is not possible for you to look into the air and see if there is the presence of Radon in it.
While You Are Building the House
Take a look at the following tips and methods if you are going to build your house and want to make it free from Radon and its impacts. Because you are spending less money and closing all the loopholes, you can be less worried. However, please note that we are building a passive radon control system.
- First of all, you need to make an extra protection layer that is beneath flooring system of your home. You can, for instance, use a four-layer gravel for the purpose. However, if you have a crawlspace, you don’t have to worry about this extra layer.
- For extra protection and to prevent radon from going upwards, it is recommended use a plastic layer for this purpose.
- Make sure that there are no cracks in the foundation or flooring. If there are some, fix them.
- Now, you have to connect the extra space/crawlspace to the roof using a gas-tight pipe. This pipe is making sure that the radon gas is directly brought to the rooftop air, instead of entering your homes.
- In addition, you can set up a vent fan amidst the gas-tight pipe. This way, you can make sure that the radon gas is pulled and brought onto the rooftop area.
If you follow the steps before building the home, you are going to be less worried about Radon. You can do it manually if you are building the home by yourself. Or, if there are some contractors involved in, you would have to get professional’s help to get things done.
After You Have Built Your House
This happens if you have brought the house from someone else. They might not have done anything towards the problem of radon presence. If that’s the case, you can consider the following methods for rescue.
Before you implement these methods, you have to make sure that you are testing the amount of radon that is present in your home. Radon, being a naturally occurring gas, can be present in a healthy amount. Having said that, you need to ensure that the amount is lesser than the threshold level. We recommend using one of the best radon detection kits for the purpose — either passive or active. If you want to have a device that you can use for testing every room for radon, we recommend going for an active radon detection.
If the amount or radon present is higher than the healthy levels, it’s time to follow some tips.
- If you don’t want to get into it manually, you can seek the help of an authorized professional. He/she would be familiar with the different types of radon mitigation systems and will be able to choose the right one for your sole purpose.
- Covering Exposed Earth is one of the effective methods of radon prevention. You have to use a layer of high-density polyethylene plastic. This layer makes sure that Radon does not enter your house via soil.
- Alternatively, you can use a HRV — Heat Recovery Ventilation — system to get rid of radon. This will make sure that Radon is navigated to the outside option.
Well, these are some effective ways to get rid of radon in your house. As you saw, things are easier if you’d be building your own house. In that case, you can simply insert that extra layer and get rid of radon. Even if you haven’t done that, don’t worry. There are some highly talented professionals who can help you with the whole thing of radon mitigation. No matter whether you are using the mitigation system, be sure that you’re testing your home for radon.